Moving to Private Accommodation

Making the step from living in halls to moving into private accommodation can be a daunting one.

This guide is here to help you with some of the questions you may have when looking for a place to live after your time in halls.

Who to Live with

This may sound like a simple thing, but it is likely you will be signing a contract where you will be responsible for your rent for the whole period of the contract.

Moving into a student house is often a good opportunity to live with friends you’ve made at University or in Halls. However, it is also important to consider the lifestyles of the people you will be living with and how compatible they are.

For instance, they may be your best mates, but if you tend to get up to go to lectures whilst your flatmates tend to ‘large it’ late into the night, this could be a problem, so it is important to make sure you are happy with the people you will be living with, otherwise it could prove costly if you have to move out during the course of the tenancy.

Where to look for Private Sector Accommodation

There are a wide variety of places you can look for accommodation, these include:

  • The Accommodation Lodge – The University’s Accommodation Office in the University of South Wales runs a registered landlords scheme where landlords must provide evidence to show that their property complies with the minimum standards – as required by the local authority, Rhondda Cynon Taf Council.

  • Agencies – There are several agencies based in Treforest, but take care, some charge you a registration fee or other charges later in your tenancy. It is very important you check with the agency what its fees are before signing any contracts.

Found a Place to Live – What Next?